Tuesday 1 May 2012

Bottles, bottles everywhere.......



As well as telling you all what is happening now, I suppose I should tell you how I eventually got started.  As I said before, the first time I saw fused glass was at college, after that I noticed quite a bit of jewellery around at craft fairs.  We have a lovely glass gallery in St. Ives – Jo Downs Glass – http://www.jodownsglass.co.uk which was really inspiring and when I asked in there if they knew anyone teaching fused glass techniques, they put me on to Frank at Helston.  This was an evening glass for beginners and ran once a week for two hours.  We had projects for the first few weeks and then made whatever we wanted.

One of the things I have seen around are items made with bottles that have been flattened in the kiln.  I have been collecting bottles for a while.  Not any old bottles though, I want unusual shapes or coloured glass other than the norm.  
However, my first experiment, indeed the first ever firing in my kiln was with Grolsch beer bottles
and I was delighted with the results
the next experiment with wine bottles was not completely successful!

the problem was that the bottles were rolling together in the kiln, so I thought I would put a little stopper there so it wouldn`t roll.  I had the sense to use proper kiln furniture that is designed to be used in the kiln
but didn`t have the sense to realise that the glass would just flow around it!
This is why we experiment though, isn`t it?  I tend to learn by my mistakes so will not make this one again.  The rest of the wine bottles were fine though

I had a problem with my next load though, as I was preparing to fire some baileys bottles that my daughter Jeni had kindly emptied for me.  I didn`t take photos because I was a bit upset when my kiln lid would not close on them.  As you will notice from the photos at the beginning the kiln is quite shallow and even more so when the lid is closed as the elements protrude from the lid.  Never mind, I can do lots of other things and when I start making a fortune selling all these items I can buy a bigger kiln!


4 comments:

  1. Love the look of the liquefied glass Terri - and your workshop in the previous post is great, lucky you to have a purpose built space in which to work. Lesley x

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Lesley, must admit it is a wonderful space to work, I have several different things in progress around the work bench. Mind you that is how I used to paint too. How do you work Lesley?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great playing around with bottles, isn't it - and good recycling too!

    Thanks for visiting my blog (Lazy Daisy Glass) - I'm from Carharrack, near Redruth and my husband is from Lanner. When we got married we had a cottage in Redruth, but moved away in 1998 - London for six years, then here in Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you must go and have a look at Kathryn`s bottles and she has a new website as well as a blog now:

    http://www.lazydaisyglass.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete